April 23-24, 2021
MCB Open Tournament
Since 1975, the Mo Connolly (MCB) Tennis Foundation of Kansas funds its mission to serve the youth of Wichita by organizing a great party and a fast-paced, fun-filled tennis tournament for players of all levels! For more than 40 years, it’s been the region’s most worthy tennis event!
Your sponsorship enabled nearly 1,000 Wichita youth to experience a tennis program by MCB last year with additional thousands through the Net Gen school program. Thank you!
This year the event took place on April 24th from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm at Riverside Tennis Center located at 551 N. Nims Street. There was music, food, tennis, pickleball, and lots of fun. The Friday evening party on April 23rd was held at Marquee Motorcars from 6:30 pm – 11:00 pm.
If you have been a part of this effort in the past we hope you were able to come and celebrate all the hard work of many decades. If you were not in attendance, be sure to catch it next year and enjoy time with friends both old and new and help the Wichita tennis community continue to prosper.
This is a FUN tournament. If you have never participated, this is what you can expect:
- Food, drinks, music
- Information about the MCB Mission
- 50/50 Raffle Winner Drawing (Half of the raffle pot goes to MCB the other half to the WINNER . Previous years has been a raffle pot of $4000 ++++) Winners don’t have to be present to win.
- Other FANTASTIC prizes
- N0 need to register WITH a partner…you just sign up and enjoy a fun day of tennis!
- You will play multiple short-format “matches” with multiple different partners
- You will be able to purchase Mulligans, which allow you “do-overs”
- Some good tennis, some bad tennis and lots of laughs!
- Pickleball fun added NEW this year
- Lunch provided
- New amenities at Riverside Tennis Center
- Prizes awarded and awards presentation immediately following conclusion of tournament play
Format for the Tennis Event is a feed in round robin of 4 games per round to a single elimination bracket for the top 8 players playing a single elimination semi-final and final with a 7 point tiebreaker played at 2-2 . The tennis round robin will be no add scoring with 4 rounds(4 games each) for 3.0 & 3.5 players and 5 rounds for 4.0+ players. Mulligans may be purchased and 1 mulligan may be used per person per round/match.
The pickleball format will be 1 game to 11 with the top 8 players playing best 2 out of 3 games to 11 battling it out in a semifinal and final single elimination match. Mulligans may be used for Pickleball , only one mulligan per game per person. Beginners will also have an opportunity to learn the basics of pickleball from Chris Heck (tennis and pickleball wizard).
Burgers will be cooked by Wagon Masters, Side dishes by Great Harvest Bread Company, beverages will be served by Shaken not Stirred and tunes are being played by Terrance Williams.